WHAT IS RYLA?
Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, or RYLA, is a five day leadership development program targeting high school students. The purpose of RYLA is to develop personal leadership skills and an interest in serving the community; both core to Rotary International’s mission.
RYLA SUCCEEDS BY
- Developing leadership skills
- Increasing self-confidence
- Gaining exposure to a variety of issues and people
- Teaching them how to be effective servant leaders
- Meeting community leaders and mentors
- Making it all fun
Having a great time while making new friends with like-minded youth from across the western half of Tennessee seems to be a natural consequence of this process.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Participants will be:
- Incoming high school Sophomore and Juniors (10th and 11th grades)
- Male or female
- Selected on the basis of character, general education and demonstrated leadership potential
- From diverse backgrounds and may have diverse needs
WHAT HAPPENS AT RYLA?
Award winners will stay in Austin Peay State University dorms and eat in their food service courts during their stay. A variety of exciting activities directed at this age group to enhance leadership traits and provide team-building experiences will be undertaken. The scheduled events for the program have been developed by a Vanderbilt University professor who teaches leadership full-time and is a long-time friend of Rotary. There is a banquet at the end of the program for the award recipients and their families on Sunday afternoon. At that time they will be formally presented their awards.
Contact: Please contact the Hendersonville Rotary Club for additional information by email at firstname.lastname@example.org